Sunday, February 20, 2011

Easy Chocolate Mousse

This past weekend M & I had my parents, my brother and his partner over for dinner for the first time. It was super exciting, for me, and I made (what I thought was) a great menu of antipasto followed by mushroom risotto and chocolate mousse. I did plan on taking lovely photos all the way through, but Mum & Dad supplied the wine and then the Grey Goose M's sister got us for Christmas came out, and, well, I forgot!

However, M did catch this proud moment on film;



My starters & I.

Oh well, it was a great night regardless of lack of photographic memories.

The night ended, as I mentioned, with chocolate mousse. I first made this chocolate mousse for M earlier in the week for Valentines Day, (the perfect excuse), as I know that, although he is not a sweet tooth, he does enjoy chocolate mousse. Being titled 'Chocolate Mousse in Minutes' on Taste made it the most attractive option in my search as I was to be cooking it along with two other courses after work that day. I was so pleasantly suprised with it's ease, flavour and, importantly to me for chocolate mousse, it's texture, that I had to share it with you.

That, and I promised my brother's partner I'd share the recipe.


Chocolate Mousse in Minutes
For Mel





I;
  • 300g good-quality dark chocolate, roughly chopped (I used a mix of Club Dark & Club 70% Cocoa)
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/4 cup (55g) caster sugar
  • 1 tbs good-quality cocoa powder, sifted
  • 300ml thickened cream, plus extra whipped cream to serve
  • Grated chocolate, to serve

M;
  1. Place the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a pan of gently simmering water (don't let the bowl touch the water). Stir until melted. Remove bowl from heat and set aside to cool slightly.

  2. Place eggs and sugar in a large bowl and beat with electric beaters for 5 minutes, or until mixture is pale, thick and doubled in volume. Fold in cooled chocolate and cocoa powder until combined.

  3. In a separate bowl, whip cream until thickened (be careful not to over-beat). Use a large metal spoon to carefully fold the cream into the chocolate mixture, trying to keep the mixture as light as possible. Spoon into 6 serving glasses and chill in fridge for at least 1 hour. Remove from fridge 15 minutes before serving, then top with extra whipped cream and grated chocolate to serve.

3 comments:

  1. Yum yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!! H makes good mousse... technical mousse I think... I'm too scared to ask hahaahahaa

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmmm yummy :D
    Great blog come to see mine if u want

    http://twice-asnice.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmmmm I am a fan of chocolate in any form, and this looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete