Wednesday, March 28, 2012

How To; Listen to your Body


Mouth ulcers?  More thirsty that usual?  That head cold is lasting longer than everyone else's?  Craving food you never crave?  I think your body is trying to tell you something....




Today I want to encourage everyone to really start paying attention to their body and listen to what it's trying to tell them.  It's not normal to be insatiably thirsty, or to have random stabbing pains in your head or cramps you've never felt before.  You shouldn't be constipated or bloated, it's not 'just how' anyone is, it's your body trying to tell you something's up.

Although you should always check with a doctor when your body is behaving unusually, no, it's probably nothing serious - you might be thirsty because you're diet's high in salt or you're coming down with a cold.  Stabbing pains or cramps can be stress and anxiety, and constipation and bloating can be related to diet or again, anxiety.  It's not the point, these things shouldn't be ignored or dismissed as normal 'for you'.  It might not require a doctor's visit, but surely you desire a feeling of good health and energy and a sense that everything is working and working well all the time, who wouldn't?

Look at your diet, pay attention to your fluid intake, exercise regime, the people around you - everything.  I know it's a cliche, but your body really is a temple and we do actually only get one, it's very well worth taking care of it because it's a lot easier to prevent than it is to cure.  If your lifestyle is hurting your body, change it.  Yes, we all need money, but without our health we have nothing.

If you know nothing about nutrition apart from what a few health bloggers write on their pages, buy a basic nutrition book and learn about what your body needs.  I guarantee, flicking through it, you will read about a vitamin or mineral and what foods contain it and go, 'Oh, I don't really eat any of them'.  Don't run out to buy it in tablet form, go out and get the foods that contain it and start using them in your cooking or as a snack.  Food is always better than tablet.

May I recommend for first timers;



Nutrition; The definitive Australia guide to eating for good health
(Buy at Nutrition Australia or any good book shop)

It goes through what a basic healthy diet is, all your vitamins and minerals one by one etc, without the fad diets or what's currently in fashion.  It's a great little book and was my first - a gift from a great friend when I was still very ill.  Despite a million books since then, I still refer back to it.

Anyway, just stopped to say please listen to your body.  If you're not sure how, learn by experimenting and remember what works and what doesn't.

The solution to ongoing sleepiness is not a daily coffee!

I leave you with this;

"The Dalai Lama, when asked what surprised him most about humanity, answered "Man.  Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.  Then he sacrifices money to recuperate health.  And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."

Stay well,
Nat x




5 comments:

  1. Hey I fully agree with these sentiments! I love your blog btw. Sometimes I get overwhelmed with all the diet crazes on blogs, it is hard to know what is the best way to be eating! So maybe I should get this book. Do you recommend for people who are pescetarians? Pseudo vegetarian haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your user name!

    I am a pescetarian now, so yes :) It's easy enough to ignore the meat facts and google to find out what vegetarian sources you can get.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I very much disagree with "The solution to ongoing sleepiness is not a daily coffee!" Hahahaha. jk.
    I think I might get this book. Thanks for the rec Nat! I've been meaning to go to the dr for so long because of nutrition issues. I think mostly a change in diet is all that's needed though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post *clapping* :) so true, you really need to listen to your body. That quote from the Dalai Lama is so true. And sad. But motivating too!
    Heidi xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha Michaela, I only drink decaf so I wouldn't know ;) I would still encourage you to go to the Doctor if that's what your instincts are saying, even if it is to get a referral to a dietitian.

    Thanks Heidi! I know, it's on my wall..

    x

    ReplyDelete