Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Dear 16 year old Natalie

As part of day 10 of the Health Activist's Writer's Challenge, I write a letter to my 16 year old self.  I can't believe I was 16 almost 10 years ago.  More than that, I can't believe M & I celebrated our 1 year anniversary when I'd just turned 16 (making it 11 years together this year).  Crazy town, hey? 


______________


Dear 16 year old Natalie,

I'm not really sure what to say to you; being 16 didn't really treat you very well for reasons you'd rather not publish on the internet, but you got through it.  Having said that, you didn't really do yourself any favours with your actions or the way you treated someone super important in your life.  You don't realise how much you're going to have to rely on that person soon.




(Age 18 with M at our year 12 formal)


Please start fighting for what you believe in.  You are far too influenced by the people around you and you need to know that what they think does not matter.  What you think and what you decide to act upon as a result is all that matters, as long as it has the support of your family.

Trust your instinct about M, you are right.




(Age 16 at my debutante ball.  

I hated the make up)
Gossip is for children and so is bitchiness.  Ignore it, it's never worth your time.  Also, please do not feel obligated to be friendly to people you do not consider friends, it will suck all the energy out of you.




(Age 5; First day of Prep!)
Can you feel that wonderful thing happening in your body?  No?  OK, let me spell it out for you; HEALTH.  You can do anything, anything, that you want to.  You are 16 and you have your health and that is EVERYTHING.  Live every single little moment as if it could be the last one you have because one day in the future, you may lose that healthy feeling and that ability to do anything you want to.  Please remember this when you go out over the next couple of years and have way too many bourbon & cokes and get over it with a nice serving of fish & chips chased with some seriously chocolate therapy.  Also, have you ever heard of exercise?  Do some!


 

(M & I at the deb ball)
Please stop doing things you're good at and things that you know you will succeed in.  Fear of failure isn't going to get you anywhere and you need to challenge yourself or you'll never move forward.  Success isn't measured in grades.



 

(Age 18 at work after my last day of year 12)
Take care of your friendships and try to make up your own mind about people; don't let others influence your opinions.


(Age 16, M & I's first photo together at school)
Lastly, be confident, and this doesn't mean showing masses of cleavage every time you go to a party (seriously Natalie, what are you doing?), but it means having confidence in your abilities and your opinions.  Speak up, never be afraid and just get out there and live.  Please!  Do it for your 25 year old self, or more importantly, your 18, 19, 20, 21 and 22 year old self.  

Love always.. your future self, who will never regret anything you do,
Nat x


PS.  When you come to select your subjects for year 12, please do ALL the sciences, trust me you'll need them later, ditch literature; English is fine, and don't go and do a philosophy subject at uni just because you think it'll bump your ENTER up, you will hate it!

xx

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful post, so honest and raw. I love this line "Fear of failure isn't going to get you anywhere and you need to challenge yourself or you'll never move forward". I so needed to hear that & wish I knew it from the ages of 13-18!!
    Heidi xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually found it really hard, I was such a different person 10 years ago! x

      Delete