Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Scientific Evidence of Supplements

I love that friends know I am interested in what I am interested in (health, food, nutrition, fashion.. in fact, all things in life with the exception of mathematics & philosophy), and bother sending me things they see.

Anyway, this was sent by my gorgeous friend B who I met online ages ago (I may have been, 18 or 19?).  It claims to chart vitamin dietary supplements according to their effectiveness;




What do you think of this?  I think it ignores the fact that many supplements aid prevention rather than 'fix' things that are already broken.  You all know I think prevention is more important.  Nonetheless, it is interesting.

Personally, right now, I am taking vitamin C, vitamin E and a probiotic.  The probiotic was recommended but the C and E I have read far too many positive things (all revolving around prevention).  I wish I knew the be all end all cure for sinusitis.. apparently this taking months to disappear is normal.

What vitamins do you take?
& why?

Stay well,
Nat x



6 comments:

  1. That's an interesting chart! I haven't read too much about vitamins/supplements but I'm always a bit dubious about multivitamins and people swearing by them. What about whole foods? Sometimes I do take this tablet with chinese herbs when I'm run down, seems to work x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree wholeheartedly about whole foods, Hannah. I think there is a sad misconception among people who have terrible diets and low-activity lifestyles that a multivitamin will help them. However after reading a book that I wrote about recently, I now think we can get enough vitamins from our diet to not be deficient, but perhaps not enough to achieve 'optimum health'. That being said, I still don't take multivitamins!

      Delete
  2. What a great post, i just actually asked a question about supplements on the vogue forum. Saving that chart to refer to later!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oo I'd be interested in the link to that thread to see what they all say :)

      Delete
  3. I only take Vitamin D, on my GP's recommendation, because I have veeery low levels (I don't get a lot of sun, kinda obvious from my complexion LOL) Oh and folate right now (that one's pretty self-explanatory heee!)
    I think that chart is a great reference! And I like that its not ruling out ant vitamins or supplements, simply showing which have scientific evidence in support of their efficacy, and which don't - and for some, it may simply be a matter of time before they do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kitty - have you ever truly investigated why you have low vitamin D? It's in whole eggs, fish, mushrooms.. and 10 minutes of being outdoors a day should technically be enough to keep your levels up. Not questioning your choices or your doctor at all! I just think it's always worth investigating why you are low on a vitamin before just supplement.. I always worry, when friends tell me they are low, that there is a reason their body is not taking it in. Then again, if you are not absorbing it supplements probably won't make a difference & you'll end up investigating anyway!

      Delete