Monday, June 4, 2012

Mystery Box Challenge - Vegan & Gluten Free!


As mentioned in my last post, I thought it'd be fun to do a mystery box challenge Masterchef style. I don't really know what the exact rules of the mystery box challenge on Masterchef are, so M just asked me to use all the ingredients that he picked.  I told him to pick 5, and this is what he came up with;



Fresh Parsley, Oranges, Basmati Rice, Sweet Potato & Chickpeas



A few ideas went through my head, mainly revolving around some kind of pilaf, but then I came up with the idea for....



Sweet Potato Burgers 
with Spicy Orange Marmalade and Coconut Scented Rice

Serves 3-4 people

I;
Spicy Orange Marmalade
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- Rind of half an orange, peeled & then very finely sliced
- Flesh of two oranges, pith removed, finely diced
- 1/4 of a cup of white sugar
- 2 teaspoons of hot chilli cause
- 1 generous pinch of fennel seeds

Sweet Potato Burgers
- 1 large sweet potato, cubed & roasted with a spray of olive oil
- 1 can of chickpeas, rinse & well drained
- 1 onion, diced
- Medium bunch of fresh parsley
- Rice flour for dusting

Coconut Scented Rice
- 1 cup of Basmati rice
- 1/4-1/2 cup of desiccated coconut

M;
Spicy Orange Marmalade
- Fry garlic in 1/4 tsp of olive oil in a saucepan until fragrant
- Add remaining ingredients into saucepan with 1/4 of a cup of water.  Simmer until liquid is syrupy (about 30-45 minutes)

Sweet Potato Burgers
- Place all ingredients except rice flour in a food processor and whizz.  Don't puree!  It should only take 20-30 seconds with some mid-whizz bowl scraping to get a nice texture.
- Form into patties and dust with rice flour.
- Fry patties in a large, thick based fry pan sprayed with olive oil.  You can keep them warm in the oven if you want to prepare in advance.

Coconut Scented Rice
- Place rice, coconut and 2 cups of water in a saucepan and cook until rice has absorbed all the water.

Construction (.. plating)
You can plate it however you like! But I out down a base of rice, topped it with broken up burgers and drizzled the marmalade on top.  It looked.. OK.













I was quite proud of this effort and it was a lot of fun!  I love cooking more than ever.

It's also great practice to get me in the habit of actually writing down my recipes.
M ate it and enjoyed it too - enough to eat it again for lunch at work tomorrow.  






To ensure it's gluten free, check the label on the chilli sauce you use, or just use some chilli flakes.

What do you think, sound yummy?

Will you try cooking it?  It was super easy, and apart from the sugar in the marmalade (which you only drizzle on anyway), it is super healthy too.

Any suggestions to M for a mystery box?  Perhaps things that are always in your pantry?  I'll make sure he has a look at your suggestions if you have any...

Stay well,
Nat x


3 comments:

  1. I will def try cooking it, sounds great! I am so impressed with your mystery box skills, I am normally quite crap without a recipe and a mystery box would stress me out...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this idea!!! I so want to do this, I feel like getting more creative in the kitchen! It's funny how reliant on recipes we can be. The marmalade sounds zingy and delicious, yum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh man I LOVE the sound of sweet potato burgers!
    Heidi xo

    ReplyDelete